Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Last night I went for a walk. My intention was to just get up and move a bit. After all I am on this working out kick. Not the easiest to find things I can do  with this damn boot on my leg, but I'm sure trying.  And so I thought, I'll walk and see how far my ankle will take me, burn a few calories and push my ankle strength a bit.  It didn't take long and my shoe on my good foot was bothering me. Not sure why that happens since I got my boot, but this isn't important.

  A calorie burning walk turned into this great unexpected trip back to childhood. I completely forgot how good it felt to walk around bare foot. Now this may sound silly to those who ran around with shoes on as children. But me, I never wanted to wear them. Sure this caused a few incidents...stepping on a nail, getting stung twice from stepping on bees...but I didn't care. I just loved the way the hot cement felt, the way grass felt almost cold in comparison...everything about feeling the earth beneath me.  And then there was the tar on the street. Funny or not, it's a feeling that brings me right back to playing with the neighborhood kids until the street lights came on.  That warm and soft feeling of the tar that fills the cracks on the street...maybe it's because it's not something you feel as an adult.  As adults we care way too much about avoiding such things.

3 comments:

  1. That's funny, I remember the feeling of the tar on my feet too, didn't think about that til just now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love bare feet walking around. If I could live without shoes, I totally would. Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete